Depression affects many people during different stages of their life. It can affect one in fifteen adults in a year. In fact, over sixteen percent of people will experience depression at one point in their life.
What is depression?
Depression, also known as major depressive disorder, can affect how you feel, the way that you think, and how you act. People who struggle with depression feel sad more often than not and lose interest in things that they used to enjoy.
What are the symptoms of depression?
Common symptoms can include:
- Overwhelming feeling of sadness
- Change in appetite, leading to weight loss or gain
- Insomnia and excessive fatigue
- Loss of pleasure in things that used to give pleasure
- Thoughts of death and suicide
How can you help someone with depression?
If you know someone who is suffering, you need to be there for him or her. Here are some things that you can do.
- Visit regularly. It is important that your friend and loved one knows that you are going to be there for them.
- Don’t force him or her to talk. Most depressed people don’t want to talk about it. You may struggle to get through if all you do is try to talk about the disease.
- Make sure that he or she gets the help that is needed. You might need to take your friend or loved one to and from appointments. You may need to go to the pharmacy to pick up the medicine that could help.
How can you cope with depression?
Though it isn’t easy, here are some things that you can do to help your depression.
- Reduce your stress. There are many techniques you can try to reduce stress.
- Eat better. Many studies show there is a correlation between healthy eating and depression.
- Get enough sleep. A study found that eighty percent of people with depression struggle with sleep. The better you sleep, the better off you will be.
Why should you call or see Dr. Anastasiou for depression?
The treatment for depression may include antidepressants, other medications, and counseling. Dr. Anastasiou is a board-certified psychiatrist with over ten years of experience. If you or someone that you love is ready to get help, don’t hesitate to contact us today!